This week we have World Maths Day on Wednesday and World Book Day on Thursday and various activities related to these will take place throughout the week. A reminder that on the Maths page there are lots of ideas of how to use your Family Learning maths packs.
Also on Wednesday, it is United Nations, World Wildlife Day with a theme of ‘Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet’. This theme looks to shed light on the links between the state of our planet’s forests and woodlands and the preservation of the many livelihoods that depend on them, with much attention to the traditional knowledge of the communities who have managed forest ecosystems and its wildlife for centuries! Not only that, but there are also aims to begin discussions about establishing a sustainable model of interaction between humanity and one of our most important natural providers, in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, including Goal 1 (No Poverty), Goal 2 (Zero hunger), Goal 12 (Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns), Goal 13 (Climate Action) and Goal 15 (Life on Land).
On the Zoodle link on the Family Learning site, you will find activities related to Nature Photography which may interest you.
New this week on our Family Learning Site;
- Link to World Book Day, share a story resources with free audiobooks, author videos, top 100 stories and lots of resources (Literacy page – Reading section)
- BBC World Book Day resources including live author events and story reading sessions (Literacy page – Reading section)
- Link to World Wildlife Day information and Global Goals (Covid page – Interdisciplinary learning)
- Weekly links from Twinkl Alba for BBC Alba Gaelic Medium programmes (Covid page – Weekly Gaelic resources section)
- Right of the Week focused on articles 17 (access to information), 29 (goals of education) and 31 (rest, play, culture and arts) in relation to World Book Day (Right of the Child page)
Weekly updates in Covid page;
- home learning around the Picture News this week covering this week’s Wonder of the Week around packaging used on products.
- a new set of activities around the Right of the Week – focused on Article 24 – health and health services
- Zoodle – Nature Photography and Clever Creatures
- weekly aquarium live lessons from the National Marine Aquarium – Looking after the ocean
- Dynamic Earth free weekly activities – Mouldy Monday, kitchen experiments, tectonic plates, Science books and Innovation
- weekly Gaelic support from Comann nam Pàrant’s – weekly timetable added
- New schedule for BBC Bitesize programmes for this week
Please remember these activities are there as extra, optional activities to support home learning and the resources set by teachers in the respective Google Classrooms.